Old 08-23-2021, 11:05 PM   #25
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_2086 View Post
Again thanks to all involved for taking the time to determine how to integrate the 2020 Harman head unit with the trunk mounted door speaker amplifier. And thanks to FR-S2GT86 for this extensive DIY write-up. Having finished wiring up the inexpensive version above (FR-S2GT86 post #2), I wanted to chime in and agree with the others that there is a noticeable difference in both sound quality and loudness. Quality is less muddy presumably due to reducing overlapping/competing frequencies of the door and dash speakers and no longer requiring the head unit to drive a 1 ohm load for the front channels. Loudness is also increased at a given volume setting likely due to higher power of the amplifier. For reference, my previous equalizer settings were bass +3, mid +1, and treble 0 and my new settings are bass 0, mid +1, and treble 0.

I wanted to share some pictures of how I wired (more can be seen in my build thread, see signature). I de-pinned the amplifier turn-on (terminal 9) from the 10-pin connector. To connect this female terminal to the antenna turn-on, I used Toyota male repair terminal part number 82998-12330 and Posi-Tap #502. This provides for a secure yet easy to revert back connection.

I appreciate the shout out, and am glad that it has worked out for you to make your stock system sound better.

I couldn't have written these how-to's without @oddrelic volunteering to use the amplifier test harness on his Hakone that I built for the original testing, so props to him.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
oddrelic (11-07-2021)