Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
we are, look above

that's too much, you can get a full custom tune and a ecutek license for 650. you can also try to find a tuner to use other tuning software for less if you want to cut out ecutek license cost.

I don't know about you, but i rather trust my tuner to make those tweaks to ensure my tune is safe vs doing it myself. Also, i'd say most OFT users don't do this, they just plug and play and have that nice placebo effect from the butt dyno.

i wouldn't run e85 without a flexfuel kit to monitor the ethanol content of my fuel. but that's me, i know plenty of people do without it.

again you're too high on this, i went fully bolted for 2200$ including the cost of the tune. that's just over 2x more than the ofh/oft combo and my results are much better than what i posted above and i have the support of my tuner should any issues arise. you don't get that with OFT.

you are free to feel that way, but i've shown you proof that you would be incorrect. I've also seen dyno from James who's another one of the best tuners for our platform and he's seen cars LOSE power running a stage 2 OFT tune.
I go by retail prices RP, it's not fair to say "I got this for that, I can do this by circumventing this.."

I got my catback FT86SF V2 for $120 but I won't try to leverage that $120 into any comparison because the majority of people will buy retail

--

An off-the-shelf tune is a starting point- I'm sure as you had an AP. I had one too, until I realized that it was the worst of both closedsource and opensource worlds.

The value of OFT for me is the learning experience. I spent $450 on an intake that does arguably very little- do you really think I would go OFT when I have Bob at Drift down the road who would maximize my N/A power for a little more?

That's the thing- it's freaking N/A. If one could get their car to be 90% of another's for half the cost, that's winning to me- because that last 10% on a sub 200whp platform is nothing, and arguably IAT compensation and driving with the headlights on/off, stereo on/off all chistle down the difference. I understand your reservation about not using E85 without flexfuel but really.. come on.. that's borderline scaremongering. The E85 stations are so few and far between that Sun Energy products virtually control the whole show in the U.S.- consistent product. The off the shelf maf scale is designed to compensate for the E70 to E85 swing. I'm not the biggest fan of them right now for other reasons, but you can't entirely discount the teens, perhaps hundreds of people successfully running corn juice successfully on the platform with this circumvention of a flexfuel kit

I'm not racing my car, I'm learning about the art of the modern automobile, having fun while doing it, and commuting 500 miles a week in the thing.

I love tinkering around with tunes, and have been since day one of my first enthusiast car.

- Do I trust myself with my car?
- Can people become affluent in basic principles and paradigms of software tuning?
- Is this worth it to me?

Those are all subjective questions so I don't have any hard pact answers- other than beautiful logs and a very healthy engine pegged at IAM = 1 on both 91octane and E85 (no surprises there). I'd put it on the dyno but I see non-competitive N/A bolt-on builds as by and large vanilla and boring. Like homeboy's quote of @jamesm above me... one tuning solution isn't inherently above the other so it's a bit useless to try and slander the OFT's ability to deliver a solid tune.

I also get a free datalogging and flash tablet (simply don't get that with Ecutek full stop). This is supplementary to the DIY approach- data is king and the ability to observe and extract data in a relatively efficient fashion is worth the salt of the tablet alone (albeit they're not the most, erm, sturdy ).

Two very important features to me that I don't get with Ecutek. I never denied the full potential of Ecutek, specifically when it comes to forced induction and dynamic timing maps ala flexfuel kit setups.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-24-2015), D_Thissen (06-24-2015)