Old 03-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #12
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Oil galley was about 20 degrees cooler than OBD2, moved to TRD sandwich plate and now gauge reads about 8-10 degrees cooler.....Depo gauge and Torque app with custom oil temp PID. I emailed Depo and they said Torque/OBD2 was wrong
Do you think there is some truth to their claim that the stock sensors may be inferior?

On another note, I found this diagram; seems that there are three oil galley plugs, front-top, back-top and front-bottom, all having part number 11024:

When standing the human body has higher pressures the lower you go because the weight of blood stacked on top of blood is cumulative. Likewise, the pressures at the top may not be the same at the bottom. This too can be the case for the temperatures; a person with a fever may not have the same temp at the armpit as they do at the throat, forehead or rectum, and so could be the case with the engine. As a medical professional, that is how I see it, and what may matter most is not what is the absolute value, but how things are trending.

In the case of the gauges, I want to monitor trends and absolutes. Considering the locations as a comparison to a human, the lowest blood pressure will be at the highest location and the furthest from the heart. For the car, the location that is the highest on the engine and furthest from the oil pump would most likely have the lowest oil pressure, and as such is the case, would be where one would want to monitor pressures to avoid some absolute minimum value. If I am correct with my assumption then the best oil plug to use would be the rear-top plug because it is furthest and highest from the pump. If any oil galley plug is located in a lower pressure cavity then this assumption fails.

For the temperature sensor, the thing to avoid is the absolute hottest temperature--not the average--and to avoid getting on the car when the engine is still ice cold. So along with looking at trends, I want to make sure the hottest part of the engine won't get hotter than a given high value, and that the coldest part isn't too cold to get on it. Deciding where to put the sensor seems trickier, but in most scenarios, deciding when the engine is warm enough to race is easier and less risky than not knowing what is the highest engine temp. So if I want to put the sensor in the hottest place then closest to the heart, or in this case, closest to the oil pump, might be best. And even though heat rises, maybe closer to the bottom is better where the majority of the oil sits and where the exhaust leaves the engine, so maybe front-bottom.

So how does that sound? Too much thinking or reasonable?
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote