Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Honestly, I don't care if the stock motor is detuned for the US to save money so long as we get the exact same JDM 2.0l flat-4 engine. Worse case scenario we can order the performance parts from the Land of the Rising Sun but hopefully the high output engine is offered or at least can be special ordered. Then at least we wouldn't be stuck with a torquey sedan engine wishing we could have ordered one with the true engine.

I really want the boxer :.
Economically the same upcoming motor that will be in the Legacy, Impreza, and Forester (the 2.5L 170hp version) would make the most sense. As would it for the 'Suzy Secretary' drivers that will be buying this car for looks. Toyota went this way already when it went away from the 2ZZGE in favour of the 2AZFE in the XRS Matrix and Corolla.

There's an old saying that people buy horsepower but drive torque. A torquey 170 HP in a reasonably light car will 'feel' like a rocket to a lot of people. But it won't 'be' as much of a rocket when driven harder than most (the commuting masses) drivers do.

Nor will it scream beautiful music.

The commuting masses also generally equate larger numbers with better engines. If they go for mass market appeal (which they will need if they want to 'revitalize' Scion), the FB25 is the logical choice. And the numbers will look good when cross-shopping a Miata or something.

And marketing/sales types will not like the idea of having to sell a smaller 2.0L as an upgrade to a 2.5L to the North American market. Europe and Japan seem to have no problem understanding the difference between a small performance motor and a larger utilitarian motor.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've just been in a pessimistic mood lately. Hopefully this is just ridiculous on my part...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote