View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #413
Coaster

Drives: Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I do not put a whole lot of stock in the Consumer Reports reliability survey. The reason for that is that they are polling their readers and owners about their opinions about the car. The vast majority of those people are very unlike people who visit forums such as ours.

I may be mistaken but I believe when WE talk about reliability we are usually talking about engines, transmissions, engine management systems and suspension. The average reader of Consumer Reports is most likely concerned with the car starting and then things like lights, heater controls, air conditioning, heated seats, Apple Car Play, Bluetooth, connectivity and the sound system. Because all these things are lumped into the manufacturers ratings, it dilutes what is most important to a car enthusiast or a "Gearhead".

I have used CR to research used cars before buying in the past. When I did I focused on the engine/drive train and chassis information. Gadgets are usually easy albeit, expensive, to replace but they do not leave you stranded on the side of the road or cause you to fail emissions compliance.

My bias against German engineered cars is well rooted in my long years of experience dealing with them as both an owner, mechanic and being the family "go to guy" whenever someone is having car problems. Could they have improved over the last 10 years? I certainly hope so! However, I am one of those guys that when you wrong me, it takes a long, long time to regain my trust. Those German car engineers wronged me and there are probably not enough years left in my life for them to win me back.

And like Dave said, that whole business with the location of the timing chain of the B58 seems to indicate that they still have not learned all the lessons they should.

Believe it or not, I really do hope the Supra is a roaring success and those that can afford it have nothing but an awesome experience with it. Despite a few misgivings about it, I do think it is an exciting car.
I hope/ think porsche is the one exception to poor design/reliability of german cars.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coaster For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (01-24-2019)