View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:12 AM   #26
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Finally got some track time last weekend so I can give some track impressions on the SS1. For reference, I was driving on regular street tires (225/45/r17 Falken Azenis FK510) so regardless of anything else, I'm not going to be setting a new personal best or anything. I'm also seriously out of practice, this being my first time out since my accident. I only drove the car in sport mode in order to ensure that I drove the car home. I'm out of practice having not driven on track in over 2 years, and the last time I was on course, I put the car into a wall, so I decided to just spend the day and reacquaint myself with the track and track driving and take it easy.

This track is basically flat, technical, and kind of slow and it has some pretty bumpy pavement in places which presents unique challenges for vehicle suspension. The SS1 seems at home on this track though, at least to the point that I wasn't thinking about it unless I made an error, which is a good sign I think. There was no apparent understeer or oversteer bias in the suspension although driving in sport mode I think makes the car aggressively reign in any oversteer so it's hard to tell for sure. The SS1 definitely responds much faster than stock suspension which I find makes a car easier to drive and make corrections as you aren't waiting as long for weight transfer to finish. Also in contrast to the HKS suspension, it also soaks up the bumpy pavement and the occasional low speed slightly raised curb very well. The HKS was a bit too jarring over the really bad pavement and you could feel the tires skip across the pavement under braking which doesn't happen with the SS1. You also didn't dare hit raised curbs on the HKS unless you liked feeling your back teeth rattle. It's nice that I can take even tighter lines in places and the suspension doesn't seem to mind.

I'm planning 1 more track day in the fall in addition to the regional auto slalom event in August provided no major unexpected expenses crop up and we don't go back into lockdown again by then. I'm hoping to get a better tire, something like an RS4 or whatever else is in it's class next year and I think I should be able to improve my PB. I'll update again after the autoslalom and the next track day if I can expand on any more impressions.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
bhmax (07-07-2021), chaoskaze (08-02-2022), Dzmitry (07-07-2021), kevaughan (10-04-2022), Racecomp Engineering (07-07-2021), Tatsu333 (07-07-2021), Thefalls (07-07-2021)