View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 PM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ran into a lot of issues personally with the windshield audio reflections. I ended up settling on using dayton 3-1/2" fullrange point source drivers for the high end portion of my system. I tried a few different tweeters (air motion transformer, and 4 variations of soft dome) and found that the reflection tends to enhance the more undesirable aspects of typical format tweeters...

Important to note here is my preference for extremely laid back high end. I've never been happy with tweeters smaller than 1-1/8" in vehicles. I've always found they tend to get peaky between 10-15khz, and it makes my ears buzz. I've specifically gone with the dayton because it's off-axis response above 10khz does not have the same peaks as other drivers.

My recommendation for you would be to consider moving the tweeters to the tops of the sail panels to completely avoid the windshield interaction (at least temporarily), or, as i did, abandon typical expectation of driver formats.

In my last car i also found that passive crossovers can sometimes cause significant issues-- i chased a tweeter distortion issues throughout the system for years only to finally figure out that the passive crossovers were crossing the tweeters over at about 1khz to low, and causing them to distort.

The fix to that problem was going full active to allow better manipulation of crossover control .