Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #161
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Grrrr. I had a long winded response all typed up and a computer error ruined it. Here's an MT article with the 2500 lb manufacturer prediction, which was when the car was actually a working prototype, and way later than most of these statements were made.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2013-...e-first-drive/

Cliffs are official statements said 2500 lbs and WRX motor. Price point matches vehicles that come with the kind of power that these would make with F.I. Price speculation came from the rumor mill and market comparisons. The rest came from what the actual experts decided to publish.

We can't expect online self proclaimed engineering and business "experts" to know what they are talking about. However, actual experts missing the weight mark by hundreds of pounds and taking way too long to squash the F.I. rumors that the themselves helped create, isn't something that should be blamed on ignorance. I dare say that removing the early manufacturer's statements/teasers and bringing the exact same car to market would have resulted in a lot fewer people bitching.
I fail to see a single "official statement" about weight in there anyplace.

I really fail to see where you came up with the "WRX motor" thing.

"The Subaru 2.0-liter four is an all-new engine with a different block from that used in the 2012 Impreza, and features Toyota-sourced direct injection. It gets a unique FA designation within the Subaru engine family (the closely related 2012 Impreza engine is known as the FB, while the 2011 Impreza is the EJ), and though Subaru engineers were tight-lipped about the engine’s output, they didn’t disagree with our guess of about 200 hp and 170 lb-ft."
Cole (03-14-2017), daiheadjai (03-14-2017), Hoahao (03-14-2017), strat61caster (03-14-2017)