Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Oh, I'm not familiar with what rules they might have, but yea probably not. You can decat the stock headers yourself (the previous owner may have already done it) though. Oil starvation is really the big problem with Toyota engines from this time, gotta take care of that somehow. I think a purely additive method could be to use the Ishihara Johnson crank scraper with the 2ZZ pan to essentially get a baffle that sits closer to the crankshaft allowing more oil to sit underneath it.
Thanks that is valuable information.

A summary of the car's condition: From a minor collision (documented on Carfax) the front & rear bumpers were damaged, as well as driver's side front fender. Someone did a horrible respray. Besides the poor paint quality, they didn't even mask off things properly. There was even overspray on the windshield, FFS ! Roughly half the fender linings/underbody covers on the front end of the car are gone and/or torn and ziptied. Fender linings for the rear wheels are in place, but the 2-3 pieces that go under the engine bay are all gone. From the accident (I'm assuming) the driver's side headlight assembly has 2 broken mounting tabs, that someone at one point had glued together (LOL). Both rear rocker panels had at some point been used as rear jacking points (how stupid are people?!) so both are bent up/damaged and, bonus, easily retain dirt/sand/mud and moisture. No rust there though, and I was able to mostly bend them back by hand and vacuum out all the debris. The engine cover was missing, and while someone probably thought it was just cosmetic it's actually not because it prevents water from sitting on top of the engine and making its way down the spark plug tubes...which I discovered when I removed the plugs to do a compression test. Had a nice rusty mess in tube #2 and about 1 1/2 inches of water in tube #4. Additionally, took a while to remove spark plug #4 because the rubber washer/gripper from a spark plug socket was still on the spark plug in the engine The convertible top is in pretty good condition and does not leak, however it's slightly damaged and is lacking one tension strap so it's probably worthless when the time comes to ditch the top.

The good: Engine seems strong, there are zero fluid leaks, brakes look and feel great, the unit body has no rust, and the car has brand new tires (were purchased and installed a week before I bought the car). They're 500 TW all seasons, so I have no idea what I'll actually do with them, but...that's something haha. Oh and the AC works. FWIW I think I bought the least expensive mechanically sound MR2 Spyder for sale in the country.

Rented out some track time at NCCAR next month to shake her down, see if there are any glaring issues, and to learn the handling characteristics.