Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #5483
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stuck thermostatic oil cooler plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
Finally took some time to install the dedicated oil cooler. No pictures of that as most of you know it but wanted to share a couple of things.

@ML shared a few tips to help with the temp issues, I was able to do 2 of them: reflective tape on the pipes and a custom piece to help direct the airflow better. I tried to do the cold air intake he mentioned but the coupler was too big to fit in the opening so I left it out. It's a 3" U coupler + a filter. If someone wants these parts, let me know. I think the radiator I have doesn't provide enough clearance.

@ML what radiator do you have?

As for the custom pieces, they're made out of Polyethylene. You can see with a flashlight how much space is left after having the stock piece around the IC pipe. Air is definitively leaking through there and not going through the cores.

After cutting the foam to fit you can see the difference (yes, the flashlight is still shinning).

Every little bit counts, the air has nowhere else to go but through the cores. View from the outside:

And the other side:

After the foam

Haven't been able to start her up, the stupid adapter for the oil filter won't come loose from the old sandwich plate so I need to get a new one. The adapter for this kit is thermostatic while the adapter from the DROC is not.

If someone wants to try this, I have Polyethylene left. Send me a PM and I'll ship it to you.
Peaches tech tip to try: As a retired Air Force F-15, C-130 and Aerospace Ground Equipment mechanic, when we would have to change a nose gear bearing set. We would pack the spindle in dry ice for 20 to 30 mins. It constricts the metal or alloy (shrinks it ever so slightly). Light tap with a mallet and they pop right off the spindle. That’s per tech data.
I realize this is not an aircraft nose gear bearing set, however I have used this technique on my lawnmower shaft before in trying to get the collar off. It has worked every time. Maybe give this a try I’ll bet it will release. Especially as the O-ring shrinks as well. Hope this helps. Steve
I forgot. Publix grocery store sells dry ice. If not. Throw that sucker in your freezer for about an hour. Positive results will occur.

Last edited by sroby; 05-23-2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: More info
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-24-2020), mrg666 (05-24-2020)