Old 09-30-2020, 04:42 AM   #44
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
What the 2.0 Supra has over the 86, which isn't necessarily saying these things make the Supra better or that these features should have value to you, but these are the features that Toyota uses to justify the difference in price:

Obviously there is greater quality. Parts are made to a greater finish, strength, materials, etc. Paint is nicer, thicker and more robust. Knobs and buttons are more premium. Lighting and sound is more premium. Features are more plentiful. More sound deadening. Potentially thicker glass and stuff like that which is normally found in a more premium class vehicles that give them a more solid, less squeaky and less tinny/cheap feel. For torsional stiffness or development into a unique body and chassis. Bla bla bla. The list of improvements in this department is vast, is hard to quantify or list and is something that goes all the way from the expensive clamshell hood down to the higher quality in nuts and bolts.

--The engine is better.
--50% or 100 more hp
--100% or 145 more tq
--The numbers above are likely underrated, and the ability to tune the stock B48, and its potential for cheap power gains is a lot greater than the 86.

--ZF8 transmission
--Transmission can support a lot of torque and is much faster with shifting than the auto on the 86.

--Active exhaust.
--Standard larger brakes.
--Automatic engine start/stop.
--9x10'' vs 7x7' wide alloy wheels on 255x275 Michelin Pilot SS vs 215x215 Michelin Prius tires.

--Standard auto-folding heated mirrors with integrated turn signals that also auto tilt down when in reverse.
--Standard auto-leveling LED headlights (superior performance)
--Standard automatic high beams, which turns off when oncoming cars are detected.
--Standard 8 way manual seats with 4-way lumbar and 2-way bolster adjustment.
--Standard arm rest.
--Standard real carbon fiber interior trim.
--Standard lane departure warning with steering assist.
--Standard crash warning with pedestrian detection.
--Standard hill start assist.
--Standard launch control.
--Standard directional parking lights.
--Standard knee airbags.
--8.8'' MMI
--Standard dual zone climate control.
--Standard automatic air recirculation if the vehicle detects noxious gases in the atmosphere.
--Standard rain sensing windshield with automatic wipers.
--Standard auto-dimming rearview mirror.
--Standard "coming home device" and garage door opener, which I believe can turn on lights and disable the security system or other things.

--Optional 12 speaker JBL system/sub.
--Optional touchless MMI.
--Optional Toyota Supra Connect featuring Emergency Calling, Battery Guard, Remote-Control Lock/Ventilation, Real-Time Traffic Information, Map Updates,84 Concierge Service and Toyota Supra Online.
--Optional adaptive cruise control.
--Optional blind spot warning.
--Optional rear cross-traffic alert.
--Optional parking sensors with emergency braking function.
--Optional blind spot monitoring.

I have no idea if the car has other "quarks and features". Our Q5 has a bunch of features in the MMI such as a thing to set a warning if we creep over a certain speed slowly like if we have a lead foot, and there is an oil level checker, and a warning system for oil change intervals, and there is a thing to control the settings for how hard the AC blows when initially turned on, etc. Our Audi also has more sensors built into the car, so it warned my wife when the coolant reservoir was low--stuff like that.

I probably missed stuff, but this gives people a general idea.
What's that list? An outline of the catalog features?

Having driven different BMWs in the past, I wouldn't say they are a better build. They have maintenance issues and the build quality is not as it used to be. For example, I could find in many respects my Subaru Forester a more well build car comparing to a high spec'd BMW X1 with even plastic parts falling down. A nice look and feel is one thing, but a good build quality is another thing.

Also Japanese paint doesn’t tend to be thinner (other than Mazda who use their SkyaActiv paint system). Japanese paint tends to be softer which leads to the false thinking that it is not thick enough, but it isn’t a set rule.

It is true that you will find in German cars thicker glass and stuff that give them a more solid, less squeaky and less tinny/cheap feel. Same about the torsional stiffness, but all these with the expense of weight! In fact, I am quite surprised how the torsional stiffness of 86 went up in the revision model without adding much weight, which is the correct way of doing it.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote