KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
my answers are in bold under your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Q1: I assume a four channel amplifier can drive four sets of speakers, so when you suggest two four channel amps, that means I have 8 channels. If I use all of the factory speaker locations and add a sub-woofer, I end up with a need for 9 channels. Do the tweeters not use their own channels?

A. A four channel amp can drive four speakers, or 2 pairs of speakers IE tweeters + midranges. the second amp will drive the mid-bass drivers and bridge the last two channels to power the sub. this works out to using 8 channels in a 7 channel configuration.

Q2: I'm also having trouble understanding how the DSP works. I know the goal of the DSP is to time each speaker so that they are all "shifted" to be equidistant from the listener in order to help clarify the sound. However, since this is only feeding audio to the amp, the only way I can see this functioning is for it to delay various frequencies in the audio stream. How does this pan out with aligning sound to individual speakers? Of course, some people tell me this time correction isn't necessary anyway, so now I don't know who to believe!

A. The DSP is at the most basic level holding back or staggering the entire signal going to each channel of the amp for a different amount of time, this allows each speaker's sound waves to reach the ear at the same time.

Q3: Dayton Audio seems to have a crap-load of speakers, and if they sound good, I suppose I could use those. However, are there speakers that are better suited to automotive applications? For example, I have noticed in a lot of builds that nobody uses those cups (baffles?) that go behind the speaker to protect it from water that drips into the door. At least I haven't noticed that in any of the builds I have looked at. I'm guessing it's a sound quality thing, but it makes me wonder whether or not I need to get speakers that are designed for cars, and therefore designed to get wet. I couldn't see any "application specific" speakers on their site. Just tons of sizes and specifications!

A. i haven't run any Dayton equipment but i would guess that you will be able to use whatever speaker you want that fits within your power range and size needs, some guys are running house speakers that have good mechanical characteristics to run in vehicles.

Q4: One issue I am always worried about when running my own wires is electrical interference. I see a lot of people bundling the power wires right along-side all of their audio cables. If you buy shielded cable, which is what I assume everyone is using, then do you pretty much not have to worry at all about where you run the wire?

A. shielded cables are the way to go if you cannot avoid crossing wires and/or running wires in line with power supplies etc. i have a habit of sheathing each channel's cables and running them on the opposite side to the power supply to minimize interference, only have to cross once in a perpendicular (at a 90deg). i think it will be possible in this car to run the RCA's down the middle of the vehicle (im going to be custom mounting a DEX-p99rs Headunit that does not have an internal amp and uses RCA's for each channel).
On another note which amps are you planning to run?
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote