View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #128
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@theadmiral976 I didn't pull a carfax specifically (fox and all) but rather autocheck (a part of experian), and for some reason, the history says I am the only owner listed. However, when I bought the car I know there were previous owners. Obviously, you will probably say CarFax is the most trusted and reliable so that may be why. Also, I really would like to thank you for the detailed and honest bits of advice rather than be pujilistic like others. In short, what's most important now is getting the car running again and of course, doing that professionally is more important and desirable than doing some work around (such as some reflash or something). That said, getting the car running is numero uno at the moment. Unfortunately, as you suggested, looking back now saving 2,000 off of MSRP in exchange for what looked like 193 on the ticker seemed great on the surface but has been the worst decision I made. The car was sold as used because according to the dealer (who I obviously know as shady now) someone bought the vehicle and their was an unwind meaning the vehicle had to be returned, resulting in the dealer having to go through what I am sure is various protocol (inspections, smog, etc.) As for my approach, I am ultimately hoping to achieve the aforementioned desire (getting the car running) but doing it with the least amount of wasted resources (i.e. buy X thing to see if that does it and then it doesn't and I'm out of time, money, and progress that otherwise wouldn't have been exhausted. With that said however, while I am searching for a professional solution (e.g. dealer, MBI, mechanic, replacing parts, etc.) I also posted this in hopes of getting various knowledge from forum members that have experienced an issue such as this (immobilizer light, ECU bricking likelihood, etc.) and perhaps getting detailed help based on dealing with these issues or just helpful and knowledgeable troubleshooting and feedback.

@silvercervy I definitely will take that into consideration. I have every intention of leaving Geico in the coming weeks (2-4) for greener pastures and only have kept them around to see if I elect to use my MBI through them as opposed to using it with a new provider where they up my rates or drop me.

@ScoobsMcGee I understand and will definitely be doing any or all of those things. The issue however is that we are currently in a weekend and a holiday weekend at that where consultation and phones are not available to be answered. So for the time being I am doing what I can otherwise.