soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I'm not even sure I have this right or that it has been verified as being identical for the Gen2, but in Gen1, the front/rear are driven and filtered by the head unit (although I believe the front tweeters have their own crossovers) whereas the doors are driven/filtered by the lame amp in the trunk. All of this makes it very difficult to simply and cheaply upgrade.
i don't believe it's been picture-verified either, but the parts diagrams show the locations as identical, and same sizes of components as well. so there's little reason to think anything has changed significantly.

on the gen1, the dash midrange, and tweeter have their own filtering--specifically a capacitor-type 6db/oct filter. the rear speakers do not have any filtering.

you're right. technically, it is possible to remove the filtering of the oem speakers, and build your own. it would require replacing/bypassing the oem amp, and unsoldering the capacitors on the tweeters and midranges. but the reality is removing and reinstalling the speakers is a good portion of the work involved in rebuilding the sound system with alternate components that are easier to integrate together. so the only real reason to keep the oem speakers really is going to be stubbornness.