View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #55
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
It’s Hydraulic ASSIST, not hydraulic actuation. It’s still a mechanical rack and pinion.

The reason people equate electric assist with poor feedback is because the early implementations of electric steering in cars had really poor feedback. It took a few generations to get it right. Still, the last hydraulic assist systems generally had better feel and MUCH better weight to them than even today’s electric racks.
I think the lack of feedback in electric power steering is that eps doesn't seem to respond / react to the road at all. When drifting a car with hydraulic power steering transitioning from one direction to the other the steering counter steers during that transition, often on it's own, and you just control the speed at which it happens. When I was drifting a BRZ I always had to initiate the counter steering, and tell the wheel which way to start spinning. Once I got it started it would counter steer and feel more natural, but then to transition to the other direction I would have to repeat the process. I was driving purely off muscle memory vs feel, felt like sim drifting in Assetto Corsa on a cheap Logitech G27.

Maybe electric power steering just needs better programming and sensors telling the electric steering motor what the car is doing. And maybe the better feeling eps units now have systems to simulate road feedback.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote