Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Maybe Paypal has fixed issues from the past. This is going back like 20+years ago but...
First issue I bought a $200 lens and it wasn't as described so I immediately sent it back to exactly where it came from, a camera shop in NY city. They received it and even signed for it.
Then somehow said they never did get it even though it was signed for in the end, I got screwed out of the money from Paypal for that after they somehow convinced all parties involved (that make decisions on what happened and what to do to fix it) that they never got the lens back. Still don't know how they pulled that one off.
Then I sent a camera to a buyer on Ebay and they used Paypal to send the money. I received the money, transferred it from Paypal to my bank account and sent the camera. Then a few days(4-5) later Paypal says the card used for Paypal to buy the camera was a stolen card and they want the money back. Well I already sent the camera to scammer person who had all the needed info to send it so...too bad, it's my money now.
I stopped using Paypal after that for like 15 years until a couple years ago on some small purchases on Ebay to test if my Paypal was still working. They must have forgot the whole thing or just wrote it off because they didn't try getting the money from me even though they were the ones who fell for the scam which prompted me to send off the camera.

So anyway... I have an app in my Bank of America phone called Zelle that is basically a transfer from anybody to me with no fees involved. They way I look at it, if I give everything available to ensure I am safe to sell or buy from, I wait til I receive funds and then send the item. It works with gun parts so it should work with car parts. In fact, last item I sold a couple weeks ago was a money order to me and then after cashing it to make sure it's for real, I send the gun part. If the buyer and seller trust each other then something like Zelle is perfectly fine. I'm sure there has to be other applications similar to Zelle out there. I mean what has Paypal been around for , like 30 years. SOmebody has had to figure out how to do it better without charging high fees. I also don't trust a check or money order much either but if they are cashed and money is in hand, then they are fine to me.

As I said maybe Paypal is better at doing the job they are supposed to do and are better at arbitrating a scenario like I went through in the past with scammers. I just don't want to send off the item and midway or after it being shipped, I get a notification that I don't get to keep the funds for the purchase. I guess filing the box with the item in it being taped shut at the counter of UPS and them taking it and walking out of the building would suffice but I don't trust anybody unless they give all the same info I give. I figure, if I am willing to pretty much give every possible way I've conducted business on the internet and it's all positive and also give my personal business info that I've owned and rely on to make a living for 20+ years that mainly relies on my reputation, then the buyer should feel safe with sending the money first and preferably in a way that they can't play any funny games like do a chargeback after the item is sent.

FYI, every time you use any form of card payment, there's a fee charged to the merchant that's associated with it. I hope you know this.

The fee that paypal charges is 3% to protect the buyer/seller.

Once with zelle, if you sent it out and let's say something gets lost during shipment or someone just straight up scams you, your bank won't approve any claims on that (Zelle/Cash app/Venmo)
The Following User Says Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-27-2019)