View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sealant Recommendations for Black Paint

Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for over the counter products that actually work well.

I don’t live in America so most of the local products available are Meguairs and Turtle Wax, very recently Chemical guys but I haven’t tried it.

I’ve used Meguairs Quix Wax, Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray wax (the one specific for black paints), Turtle Wax spray sealant and your standard Carnauba wax.
Turtle Wax Spay sealant has been the only product that seems to somewhat repel water

No matter what I use, the beading sticks to my car like glue, does not sheet off even when hosed down with water, just sticks to the paint and holds in all the dirt it accumulates requiring a full wash to remedy. If they were just subtle water/ dirt marks it would be fine, but it genuinely looks like my car has a leopard print with how visible the dirt is after a half a day of rain.

Eg.

That sideskirt is freshly painted, was washed yesterday with wax applied and this is the result from a single morning of rain. If I spray that with water it will not remove any dirt unless I hand scrub.
I’m not expecting 100% of the water to sheet off like a real ceramic coat, but currently I don’t see why i’ve been bothering to apply wax when the beading does nothing in terms of making the car easier to clean, and doesn’t seem to offer much protection as bird poo has still burned through into the clear multiple occasions despite being washed off within a few hours of it occurring

I know black cars show defects more, but unless every other car at my work place has ceramic coating, nobody else’s black car looks as dirty- and I doubt most of them even wash their own cars let alone use products outside of drive through washes

Last edited by Sam86; 11-16-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote