View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #101
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Id be more worried about those hooks bending the trunk over time. Have you had any issues with that??? Also what kind of bike are you putting on there? I transport my DH bike the most, so its about 35lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
The Thule bike carrier I have has rubber coated hooks and they do not mar the paint. I've used it over a dozen times (on my GTI) and the 6 hooks (2-top, 2-side, 2-bottom) on the hatch have not marred the paint/clear coat one bit.

You will get more paint damage from road debris driving to/from your destination than from the hooks.

As far as the foam pads on the top and bottom bars; you can put a microfiber towel around them if you are truly worried and keeping the paint scratch free.

I have clear bra stuff on my rear bumper, but will usually put a microfiber cloth on the pads that touch the paint. Once the carrier is strapped down and all lines are tightened, the carrier does not move.

Check/recheck after about 25 miles, and then check each time you stop. Again, no problems in 15, with the rack or the paint.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote