OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
This guy is not an enthusiast. He is reading a script. On his bio at the old 'Hello Scion' site it said his degree is in business and his hobbies are church and baseball.

He's trying to (awkwardly) talk the talk, but he's not walking the walk.

My personal challenge to Jack Hollis: Out hard-core most of us on the board.

With a couple guys from the office, build an Eight-Six to a budget. And race it at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Do a few HPDE days and Auto-X for testing.

And do it while you are doing everything else you normally do. Work, family, friends. Balance all that, while building a 27 year old car, with cheap used parts, found yourself, dealing with forum and craigslist flakes or searching high and low for the rare new in box JDM parts, that whole jazz.

It's not easy.

Once you do all that, with your own hands (for the most part, at least not just handed off to some techs in a Toyota shop), you will understand us. If you love it, you are one of us.

Hell, film a gritty documentary about your journey to Thunderhill and use it for marketing.

I (I can't speak for everyone, but I think almost everyone will too) will respect you if you can do this.
Before all of that, he has to spend a few hours every other night for a few weeks, driving around all the sleazy used car lots in town, hoping, dying, praying desperately to find an 86 in the corner of some lot, waiting to be taken to a better place, only to have your hopes be crushed every night...until -the- night, in utter frustration, you cry out in mercy to God "Let me find one! Please!", sigh heavily, basically give up, and then travel down to your friends house in your old neighborhood to see if he's up and about to have a few drinks, nope forgot, work during the week, he's up early so he's asleep, meh screw it, drive around the old hood for memories sake...oh hey, thats where Adam lived, thats where Chris lived, there's an AE86, ther-BRRRAKKKKEEEE!

And the story of how I got my hachi-broku is told.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote