View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #19
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
Thanks for the input. It does always seem to be spun rod bearings. I have read some of the treads with extensive oil passage reworks, but that is way above what I would consider budget friendly.

I guess I should ask it this way, if using a stock engine, bolting on ?????? parts is enough to stop it from spinning bearings. Most cars have have some weak links that need regular replacement, but the whole engine can't be one of them.

Baffles and oil pick up tube? Have people had success with that?
Maintenance is why engines brake most of the time actually. All of the blown ones I've seen is from people going to the track on old oil, like 4-5 months old oil with several track days in between. All of the people I know that track the car but do way more regular oil changes (between 1 and 3 track days max on the same oil) have had no problem. None of them uses any extra baffles or modified pickup and not all of them have oil coolers (this is not a huge pool, but from around 12-14 different cars, 3 have blown motors, 2 of them several times, this information is just from my observation with that group).

For what its worth, my engine had around 60k miles when I sold it for the swap, of those, around 20k were track only. My engine now has over 120k miles on another car that had a blown engine (and had never seen the track before) and its still purring. My engine was affected by the recall but I chose not to do it.

So all in all, I stand by proper maintenance for your usage of the car will go a long way. These engines arent bullet proof but they arent made of glass like people seem to think.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-26-2022)