Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Regardless I drove it half way home tonight (split 40 miles) in both modes (AT/Sport and MT/Sport/NonSport) and couldn't tell a difference in the actual shift time.
The difference doesn't really reveal itself if you're just cruising around and driving pretty normally. It makes a difference during times where you're going WOT and braking heavily. I've noticed that the car upshifts faster in Sport. In manual I have to almost hit the paddle earlier than I'd think I need to in order for it to shift when I want it to, and the gear change isn't as quick into that next gear as it is in Sport. Downshifting in manual is sometimes pretty quick (referring to how quickly the transmission responds after a paddle pull), sometimes not so quick. The only way I can get the transmission to downshift in Sport is under heavy braking, and it will drop however many gears it needs to in order to keep the rpms up higher for when you get back on throttle.

So I guess if you can find yourself a nice lonely and twisty road, or ideally some track time, you'd be able to see what I mean. That's really the situation the mode was designed for. In any sort of normal driving all it will really do is hold the gears a little longer before shifting up, and usually stops itself at 4th gear at most road going speeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-30-2020)