View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
forwallblakmail
Troll Level: Expert

Drives: '13 BRZ, '18 F150 3.5EB, '07 Cayman
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Racecomp Engineering Tarmac Springs

This is the preliminary review for the new RCE Tarmac Springs.

As most know, RCE has been in the Subaru game for years. They make fantastic products and I was honored to be able to test this new spring they are offering from the standpoint of autocross.

Differences from the Yellows:
Yellows spring rates are 250/250
Tarmac spring rates are 280/290

Yellows are very compatible with the stock dampers
Tarmacs are intended for use with Koni's or up and coming Bilsteins.

Upon installing the springs, I also installed Whiteline Com-C top hats for some added camber. Before the install, the car had Koni struts and a Cusco front bar (SCCA Stock setup)

Installation was straightforward as with most springs.

Ride height:
The Tarmacs lower the car a little over an inch. I went from stock springs to the Tarmacs so it seemed a bit more dramatic. They are slightly lower than the Yellows.

Before

After

Different wheels but same tires/size

Initial driving impressions:

Stiff. But not a bad stiff. This car isn't my daily driver but I drive it alot. I haven't rode in a BRZ with Yellows but I used to own an STi with FEAL revalved struts and RCE Yellows and its VERY comparable to it. I think they work well with the Koni's and the car feels very solid on the street. I want to say it feels like its on coilovers, but that experience is different for everyone so it could be a bad example. The car feels like it corners flatter than it did with the Koni's but thats only a backroad quick and dirty test.

The first autocross I will be running with the springs is in less than a week. I will follow up with competition impressions thoughout the season starting next week, complete with video and pictures.

This bumps the car to STX, which the fastest cars are equiped with high-end coilovers. It will be interesting to see the comparison.

More to come
Stay tuned.
NASA ST5/TT5 #130
Southeast Region
forwallblakmail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forwallblakmail For This Useful Post:
CSG David (06-17-2013), leon78 (07-30-2013), Racecomp Engineering (06-17-2013)