Old 11-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #17964
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
Hey, I'm old and not that bright either! Lol.

The 2018 head unit sold in the US on the PP Limited only offered Apple CarPlay, but no Android Auto. And I got the phone mount for better integration while driving since the OEM unit was not wireless - it had to be connected via USB to the port below. I wanted wireless to still have all the functionality while keeping my phone in my pocket.

Plus, it plays DVDs and CDs, has a built-in and highly elaborate crossover for the OEM speakers which, to my surprise, improved the stock sound tremendously. It also is completely flush and can be controlled by either a wireless remote or swiping gestures - so no finger prints.

I also loved the one-piece dash trim. I hated the piano-black trapezoidal trim of the OEM head unit bezel - subject to much glare and dirt. This 200mm unit fits the opening perfectly without the need for the side "space filling" brackets of normal double-din units.

It's all just personal preference, I guess.
Was not aware that the US model didn't have Android Auto or that you had to have a physical connection. I guess that shows that Apple has more clout in the US. Or, SoA doesn't have a clue...

Plus 1 for being able to play CD's and for the cross over to give better sound. Live and learn, eh!
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (11-17-2019)