Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #37
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've mixed feelings about this.

Exterior wise looks kinda inconsistent. The main body is exactly the same, but has a different front fascia (which looks a little busy to me) plus that tacked on looking side vent that was cribbed off a Lexus F car. Rear fascia looks a bit generic. Just doesn't seem to mesh together nicely. I'd like to see what Toyota did, its most likely the big mouth like the renders might make it look better than the smiley face that the subaru has.

Interior looks messy, maybe the Toyota version might look better since the giant tablet smack dab in the middle of the dash might be a Subaru bezel thing. Theres too many conflicting design elements going on. The passenger side of the dash looks straight up out of a 2021 lexus IS, the center stack has been rejigged and seems to just be placed anywhere, the gearshift surround area has that drive focused wrapped look, that doesnt seem to match anything. It looks like that center console that is now covered MAY be curved upward to provide as an armrest? its hard to tell. Some buttons and switchgear are new, but others like the traciton control button doesnt even look like they tried to integrate it..its like they just left a hole there and plunked in the current one in the same current spot. I am not a fan of digital gauges and this one doesnt do it any favours.

Materials look to be better though. The current one has some hard plastics everywhere with the main touch points either leatherette or nuluxe alcantara (and upper dash is the rubbery material). This one seems to have better materials across the board.

Front and rear seats look exactly the same.

That motor? FA24 (well 2.4L, anyone know its engine code?) and D4S makes a return. Maybe it'll feel more like "this is what the first gen should have been?", rather than "This is more powerful!" I always felt that 230 might be an ideal number for this car from the beginning to get the "underpowered" crowd off its back. Hope it gets better fuel economy and maybe can use regular fuel?

Ill have to wait and see to sit in and test drive it.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
ng-86 (11-18-2020)