Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
But its not named that in the manual. Toyota/Subaru does not intend for it to be used in that manner. Would I use it in an emergency if my brakes failed? Probably, but I also take good enough care of my car that I wouldn't let the brakes get to that point in the first place. I wouldn't expect it to perform as a method of stopping my car in an emergency either.

And another side note, fun winter parking brake fact!
All true and accurate but will not change my use of the term since that is what I have called it for 45 years.

Although I have used them as parking brakes hundreds of thousands of times I have indeed used it as an emergency brake no less than 3. As I said earlier the main use in modern cars is indeed as a parking brake. The use in older vehicles often was due to brake failure no matter how ell maintained your brakes were.

Uses that I recall:
Army Deuce and a Half truck. Plug came out of air brake accumulator. Fully loaded truck. Emergency! Hand brake worked and nobody died.

1964 Impala. Hit dog on highway. Dog rolled under car taking brake lines with him. Emergency! Hand brake worked and nobody except dog died.

58 Chev. Sudden and catastrophic failure of single master cylinder seal. Headed into intersect at high rate of speed. Emergency! Hand brake worked and nobody died.

91 Eagle Talon. Hit piece of tire on highway. Took out both front and back brake lines. Heavy traffic (which is why could not avoid said tire part). Emergency! Hand brake worked and nobody died.

It is indeed intended to be used in that manner and hopefully it never will but if it does it will get the job done. Just don't pull the damn thing up into full lock!
HunterGreene (05-23-2018)