Old 12-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #310
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is nothing wrong with people that buy cars to impress other people. Not everybody has to want the car for the reasons you like and there is zero difference between them wanting a car to impress others and you wanting it for a symbiotic relations ship (that is extreme by the way).

If what you like about the car is that other people like it then it is what you like and that is what you should drive.
Of course. As you said, if trying to impress other people is what a person likes and wants, then it's completely their right to buy whatever car they want to do that.

I'm certainly not a psychologist, and could use the services of one. But I think along the same lines as @PenGun and @Capt_Spaulding. If the main motivation in buying a car (or anything else) is primarily what others might think of it, more than a person's own intrinsic liking of it, I think there might be healthier ways of addressing a sense of low self-esteem.

It's like when I was in high school, and I got rid of a Ford Pinto and bought a 1969 Mustang Fastback. I thought it would be easier to get dates. At the time I was choosing between the Mustang and a Saab 99. I also happened to like the Mustang, but one of the reasons I chose it was because I thought it was a 'hotter' car and I would likewise be seen as 'hotter' by the girls at school.

I was woefully wrong.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (12-10-2020), cliff (12-09-2020), jcw99 (12-10-2020), MuseChaser (02-23-2021), soundman98 (12-08-2020)