View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
abyssFT86

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeeray View Post
Off topic, but how were the stock rubbers on the track?
One general thing I learned with this car is that it's a great idea to do a few track days stock (or close to it). You can definitely track this car totally stock right off the dealer lot, or with just a brake pad upgrade (that's what I did). I was getting ahead of myself feeling like I had to modify but the car is fun and track ready out of the box.

Re: tires, I found the suspension to be more of a limiting factor than the tires as there was a decent amount of body roll. My first couple traack days the tires were not a limiter. I started to see limitations in the tires as I got faster. The biggest for me was braking, my brake pads (CSG Spec C2) were overpowering the wheels so would hear chirping and feel the tires slipping as I braked hard. Also started to hear a lot of chirping with a bit traction loss through the more challenging turns as I got faster. I got to a point where I felt the car could do more but couldn't push it because of the tires (especially the back half of Sonoma). That was only noticeable after 5 track days, so like I said, lots of room to grow on the stock setup.

Another reason folks here recommend tracking on the stock ones a bit is that you can learn to correct mistakes at lower speed, whereas with R comps or other faster tires you have to correct at higher speed. This rings true in my experience as well as my screw ups were pretty easily correctible. R comps give you more control up to a point but break loose more aggressively if you cross the line.

HTH!

Last edited by abyssFT86; 07-24-2021 at 11:58 AM.
abyssFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote