View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #16
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I bought a 2011 Cayman 2.9 early in 2019 and drove it back to back on the street and at the track vs. my '17 PP throughout the year. Idea was to keep the one I liked best overall. I kept the BRZ and it wasn't even close. The hydraulic steering in the 987.2 is only OK if you ask me. Feel is honestly not the best, kinda heavyish but not in a good way, seemed to mask feel as if it has too much caster, and kickback is a real thing with it. Also it's way too slow on-center, and the variable rack is noticeable and for me highly annoying. And the steering wheel is too big! I would have LOVED to transplant the BRZ's quicker steering (and smaller steering wheel) into the 987... 2.9 flat-6 sounded super-sweet (esp w/ Borla exhaust), but I found the power/torque curve to be a bit boring. Torque is falling off gently with rpm from midrange on up to the extent that I would have to look at my dyno sheet to convince myself that I should rev to redline every shift to optimize performance at the track. Whereas the BRZ's 2.0 has a rising torque curve up to ~6500rpm and feels like it pulls harder (relatively!) from there up to redline. The Porsche's engine feels less rev-happy, which makes some sense given the same 7400rpm redline and it making 91hp/liter vs. 2.0 BRZ making 102.5hp/liter. Porsche's sport seats were the best thing about the car, LOVED them! But I found switchgear to be less ergonomic and with subjectively *worse* haptic feel.

Most importantly, the BRZ was/is fricking FUN and engaging to drive even at 2/10ths going to the store in town. Porsche was mostly aloof, and god forbid I forgot to smash the "sport" button, otherwise throttle response made the car feel sloooow for 99% of street driving.

I sold the Porsche, and honestly I don't really miss it. I would have *missed* the BRZ...

It's just another example of things that get regurgitated in media/forums, in this case hydraulic=better, which is not always the case. I just sat through a dinner with some BMW guys heralding hydraulic the end all be all. Oo it's heavier, it's sporty.

Meanwhile, the modern s2k enthusiasts love the s2k steering feel.

Yeah the Cayman with its taller gearing just sorta numbs the whole experience, and with its more capable tire package just feels bored driving around. Granted though I still love Caymans, but the twins have a playfulness that I just have not found elsewhere. The Cayman relative to its competition though has a similar trait, since it's price competitors have gigantic tires, huge power, etc.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
ZDan (05-18-2022)