View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 02:14 PM   #15
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midenginebias View Post
New, doesn't always mean better, especially when it comes to specific tastes of certain car enthusiasts.
100%

I cross-shopped the 86 and the Fiero (specifically with a 3800SC swap). It depends hugely on what you want from the car. I wanted something cool, fun to drive, etc. that was (more importantly to me) uncommon and didn't have a ton of "X car guys are like Y" kind of stigma.

My wife sees the Fiero as a 30 year-old car that's going to probably be unreliable and definitely consume a ton of money as I fix/improve stuff throughout. So she went out and found the 86 and started dropping hints.

Don't get me wrong - I still want a supercharged mid-engine pocket rocket, but having a car that starts every single time, with a full warranty, and absolutely zero miles worth of worry about what's about to wear out next? That's not hard math. It costs less up front (with financing) and probably less per year (realistically, considering the ongoing project keeping a really nice Fiero running is).

TL;DR - when you look at things with different perspectives, many cars become comparable that are, from another perspective, not remotely so.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-17-2022), midenginebias (05-17-2022)