View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #28
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
You can change the throttle mapping and response in the tune. Or you can buy a pedal commander thats plug n play in 2 minutes to do the same.

What are your ltft / stft?
the throttle unless right after a ecu reset/reflash is generally considered pretty good for DBW and praised by many. Possibly you have a vacuum and or exhaust leak causing this “delay” feeling.
it's 100% stock with a relatively recent (not recent in my book, but others may think so) ECU reset about 400 miles ago (1.5 gas tanks). I'll check on the vacuum in the intake system. I don't think there are any vacuum leaks, but all of the resonator/deadspace volume might be contributing to it. I also think that idle is a bit low (it's reading ~600RPM on the tach). Not sure where to find ltft/stft on the stock ECU, is that available somewhere? As far as exhaust leak, it might be hanging up on the lack of backpressure but I severely doubt it on an engine this size lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You were the one starting off talking about trying to fill me in on sporty cars, lol.

I've only driven in San Francisco a few times, but riding your clutch was always hammered in to be something you dont do. Just drive the car.

I guess I should have made a caveat for factory DBW systems, the one in this car is pretty good. As for standalones that is very dependent on setup and tuning.

Please elaborate on all these purpose built DBW standalone cars that you're driving and then comparing to your stock frs.
Right, not everyone has had the opportunity to drive a bunch of different sporty cars. If you have, that's great. I've driven most iterations of most sporty cars that have come out in the last decade and also a bunch of swapped race cars, exotics, etc. If you think the DBW system and pedal feel of the FRS/BRZ is the same or better than that of a modern enthusiast's sports car, that's totally OK, I simply disagree.

you're free to drive however you'd like in your car, I'll drive the way that I do... It's really not that big of a deal to me to ride the clutch. If it is to you and you're concerned with the replacement intervals or costs, that's totally fine and understandable. you've driven a few times in SF, i've driven here for more than a decade on most of the hills. if i found a better way to navigate the hills reliably, i would have done it. i haven't found anything yet, but i'm more than open to it if you have a better approach.

as far as DBW, as a factory system it's comparable in my opinion to the Chevy Cruze and Kia Optima. Better ones in my view are the C7 and C8 corvettes, the later 08-09 s2000's, and even the BMW M cars but that's my opinion on the matter.

I mentioned standalones because you stated that the DBW system in the FRS/BRZ is the closest thing you've gotten to cable. I offered to you that I've driven a number of racecars and swapped cars with full standalone systems because they are far better in terms of feel and adjustability (and to me, indistinguishable to cable). I was making the point that if indeed the FRS was the best DBW system you've ever experienced, you clearly didn't have any experience with fast DBW cars. That's all.
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote