Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagle View Post
if you ever have a chance to drive sporty cars from the early 2000's, it'll fill you in on what you might be missing out on

the slave cylinder design from the 90s and 00's were different that allowed for clutch modulation to be almost 1:1 analogously regardless of how hard you stomp on or release the clutch. I don't think the FRS/BRZ have the same system components, there seems to be a mechanical or hydraulic delay (unless if my master cylinder's brake fluid is mushier than it should be) when releasing the clutch particularly if I clutch dump at high RPMs. The net effect is that I shift in my s2000 significantly faster than in my FRS and both cars have fairly mild clutches (both sprung, full non-pucked discs). The other time it's noticeable is when I am in San Francisco on a hill riding my clutch (zero throttle, sitting on the clutch engaged to hold me at 0mph and not rolling). I can do this effortlessly on my S2000 and I cannot seem to get it to work in my FRS, though I will admit that I have had more than a decade of practice in the former car.

as far as the throttle body DBW system, we can agree to disagree lol i've driven a handful of DBW cars that were very good but that's probably biased by how much horsepower they have and thus how much feedback the driver is immersed with. I much prefer the later 08-09 s2000's DBW system and even the newer teslas, but again those are different monsters. The FRS in sport mode seems to be closer to those 2, but in normal mode it is not great in my opinion.
I'm not missing out on anything or need to be filled in on anything, you have no idea what I've driven.

As far as BRZ and FRS having the same clutch system components... they do.

Riding your clutch on hills is rookie driving. That explains a lot when you talk about not being able to figure out the driving on hills / curbing your wheels.

The DBW system in this car is the closest thing to a cable throttle body I've encountered in DBW systems.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-30-2020)