View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
Mrone

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Difficult and notchy shifting issues

2016 BRZ, 27k miles, bought new.

I took my BRZ to the dealership for 36 month warranty checkup. The only thing they listed in the receipt was an inspection, oil change, and tire rotation. But I noticed the shifting was a bit "rougher" when I got the car back, didn't think much of it. It's been about 7 months now, still having notchy shifting issues.

I have done plenty of research, but everyone just says to "change the transmission oil." Which I have done... twice. Once four months ago, then again two weeks ago; both with Motul Gear 300. I also put in a Perrin rear shifter bushing two weeks ago along with the transmission oil change. No dice, problem persists. I have also seen people say it's the syncros, but I'm not sure if that is the issue since the notchy feeling is present when not moving (clutch pedal fully depressed and moving the shifter into 1st, 2nd, and so on through the gearbox). I don't know what else could be the problem. At this point, I have to ask for help.

Going into 1st and 2nd gear is very hard engage, occasional lockout issues into 1st when cold. Gears 2 through 6 are all notchy/rough; 4th usually feels the smoothest of the bunch.

I regret ever taking the car to the dealership in the first place, nothing was wrong with it but thought it would be nice to get a checkup. I feel like going back would be a waste of time since I'm sure they'll say it feels fine, or there's nothing wrong with it. Such bs because it was perfectly fine before I took it to the dealership.

I'm not sure what else to do, so any help with this is much appreciated! Thanks

TL;DR: Gearbox is very notchy and rough. Transmission oil change (Motul Gear 300) and rear shifter bearing replacement didn't help. Don't think it's syncros. Out of ideas for solution... send help.
Mrone is offline   Reply With Quote