View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear mounted water "helper" radiator

Belts and braces...
Basically, I never want to worry about cooling ever again...no matter what the situation, so I'm adding a small "helper" water radiator inside the rear bumper (in addition to a second oil cooler up front).
Its 280x189x37mm (21 Row) Plate and Fin with a 9" Spal puller fan.
An electric booster pump will feed it (which can run up to 27 litres per min), with both fan and pump triggered whenever the front radiator fans activate.
There is a heap of vacant space in the rear bumper shell, and with the reversing light unit removed, quite a decent sized vent directly into what I would assume is a low pressure zone. (A serious amount of flow exits when the fan is active)
I see it mainly as a helper with cooling down straight after a hard run.
The radiator is mounted and the pump is in place and the electrics are live, so now I'm in the process of running (5/8) hose from front to rear..and back.
There will be wire mesh protecting both sides, and even though it looks vulnerable to rocks etc from under the car, it is surprisingly well protected...sitting up fairly high, and with a large muffler in front (which I am going to wrap to all but stop any radiant heat).
I'm going to be fascinated to see if it works and how it goes (fingers crossed!).
Attached Images

Last edited by grumpysnapper; 01-14-2022 at 08:27 AM.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote