Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellr1994 View Post
...it seems like most people enjoy the extra power on this platform.
Most people who have spent the substantial cost (a very high percentage of the vehicle value even when new) to add a turbo to the car are not going to admit they don't like, or didn't need, the extra power, now are they? It's just human nature.

90% or more of the 86s produced are not modified to that extent. Yes, it may appear higher than that on here, and it could very well be, but it's an enthusiast forum so that is to be expected.

In the end, the advice above is good for this or any car. Assume that the actions you take will ultimately shorten the life of the engine, and if you are good with that go for it.

My car has 175,000+ miles on it, but the motor is unmolested (well except for the valve spring recall). I would be willing to put a reputable supercharger (or turbo) on it that was designed specifically for the car. I would not, however, roll my own, but I wouldn't do that with any car since that is not my area of expertise.

In the end, it will be your car, you bear the risk, so as long as you are good with it go for it. Personally, I'd likely just take the money I would spend and buy a bigger horsepower car designed that way from the factory. Yea, there is the "built not bought" but there's also the "driving not repairing" aspect of it too.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 12-01-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-03-2020), Tomm (12-01-2020)