Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
Driving impressions: I believe the 86 has captured and built with the same philosophy as the NSX, that is to be a fun balanced driving machine on the roads and track but thats about where the similarity ends. I got the 91, (no power steering) so the road feel is amazing. It's a raw, unadulterated driving experience with very little nannies getting in the way of you, the car and the road. The view from the cockpit is just wide open road, with very little of the hood visible and you feel as your toes are exactly where the nose of the car is as you push it around curves. As you get on the gas the stock 3.0 engine roars from behind and as vtec hits, the roar no longer is just a roar but a screaming reminiscent of an F1 engine. The well tuned engine from Honda has no noticeable "vtec kick" as some are so used to having and before you know it, you're at redline preparing to shift. Coming from a RSX then the BRZ, I'm not used to having torque and the NSX is by no means a torque monster but it does have good grunt down low and passing while cruising in 5th gear doesn't require a downshift. The NSX is surprisingly open with very little blind spots for the driver to account for. The seating position is perfect and the stock leather seats hugs, even my wife noticed that they held her in place as I push the NSX around corners, obviously no where near the limits of the car. The stock suspension handles road imperfections well enough and is not too jarring even for a sports car. Honda nailed it with the NSX.

TLDR: 20 some years later, the NSX is still one of the best driving affordable sports car you can buy.
Nice find and great review! I have never even seen one of those in the wild much less drove one. Certainly not in the same class as the 86 though so comparing is apples to cucumbers.