soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
...In the end, unless you plan on playing older games, or are OK running them at lower specs you are going to spend $400 to $600 just on the video card alone.

Nothing wrong with doing that, just be aware of it. You aren't going to be overly enthralled with any games released in the last 1 to 3 years played on these specs I don't believe.
i did this for quite some time because it seemed ridiculous to me to spend more on a single component than the entire rest of the build. i never wanted to spend more than $200 on the graphics card...

every single time i'd get a new game, i'd have to load it up, and then mess with the video quality settings for a while(sometimes up to an hour) to get it to a point where it was clear enough to see what was intended, and not choppy.

it was a pain. and it became even more unbearable the last few years after i'd get everything set as needed, the the game would update, and i'd have to start all over again tweaking video parameters to get smooth gameplay.

so i finally caved a couple years ago, i ended up with a gigabyte-branded nvidia gtx 1070 with 8gb of video memory. the simplicity of being able to turn on ANY game, and set it to 'ultra' video settings was worth every penny.

i started with a single monitor, but because of the capabilities of the card, i'm now running 3 screens(used ebay grade-b screens that were $20-30 each, but triple screens nonetheless). it doesn't work in every game, but the one's that it does, it's incredible to have that extra width.

now, that said, i just got forza horizon 4, and while everything did still default to the ultra settings, certain loading screens have some framerate drops now that i've never had with my other collection of games. so this card and it's video memory size/speed is starting to become a little dated with newer games. just something to consider when looking at cards, and the future of how you'll use the pc, and how software will become more demanding as time moves on.
Dadhawk (12-23-2020), Spuds (12-23-2020)