Old 12-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #2343
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,975 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
like i had said earlier, the building part is the easiest part really-- if you've done any mods to your car where you had to do research to make sure 'x' works with 'y', this is identical to that. everything fits a standard, everything has it's place, and there's very few ways to mess it up. very rarely anything needs to be forced, so if force is needed, back off and re-evaluate if that part is supposed to go there. usually it doesn't.

the software part is really the most time consuming part of the whole thing.

i would stick with the normal i7/i9 stuff. i don't exactly understand his reasoning to get into the xeon series of processors-- they're a business-class processor:

https://www.gamingscan.com/intel-xeo...ming-worth-it/

the big focus of any gaming rig is going to be to get the absolute best graphics card speed, and most graphics memory you can justify. it's also important to have enough RAM to get the job done. 16gb is the minimum i would go with anymore, i do find it curious that he doesn't offer more out of the gate in any of those packages.

rgb is nice flair if you're into that sort of thing, but it's like underglow on a car. just adds expense to something that really does nothing.

in terms of hard drives, absolutely get an ssd, an m.2 if possible for a boot drive, with a 1TB minimum storage drive for game files. i personally stay away from any ssd over 500gb. hard drives are like house space. the more you have, the easier it is to fill. i prefer to keep my ssd's intentionally small because the first focus of installing an ssd is to make the OS boot and respond fast, so i prefer to keep them under 500gb so i'm not inclined to even accidentally install game files on them.

i've got no experience with evga motherboards, but the experiences with gigabyte motherboards have been less than stellar over the years. evga and zotac seem to be similar to me, where their motherboards seem to play 2nd fiddle to their graphics card side of things.

i generally stick with asus or msi for motherboards.. maybe more of a personal preference though.

in terms of the power supply, stick with a name brand--corsair, evga, cooler master, thermaltake, antec, and rosewill are the only one's i really consider. the other brands sometimes have issues. and i always get the modular versions--it cuts down significantly on unused cable bundles in the build.

That is really good info. I kept seeing his posts on our work forums so I wanted to get someone's opinion on the matter. I would still like to build it myself because why not, learn a thing or two in the process. I'll probably inquire for build tips from here.