Old 10-05-2022, 07:04 AM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I think it's also important to recognize the difference of 1 or 2 track days a year and 20. I would also consider track driving significantly harder on a car than autocross. SOME people seem to lump it all into one group. A new sports car should be able to mechanically take a track day without a ton of issues. Maybe some heat management problems, especially with turbo cars, I could see as acceptable. I still wouldn't expect a new car to have major drivetrain issues after 20 track days, but I also would hope that someone doing 20 track days a year, isn't using their daily driver, and has accepted that these things can happen.

I want to say that a stock BP in a Miata is considered a 200 hour motor for track work, and I would lump an 86 in the same track-ready expectation as a Miata. Hell, I recently did a track day at VIR in a 250k mile Miata with its totally original drivetrain, and it didn't complain one bit.
For the sake of simplicity we can say there are two categories. One is "normal" street driving and the other is "performance" driving. Of course the reality is that there are many sub categories of each of these and some may beat the car up more on the street or autocross than somebody else on a full fledged track day but a line needs to be drawn someplace and the Toyota warranty phrasing has done that.
There is no way to say that it should be good for 2 or 20 track days. When pushing the car to it's limits one small mistake can take out an engine in the first few seconds of the very first lap. Or it could just keep going and going no matter what you do to it.
It is an inexpensive car designed for the street but given some track abilities not a over built race car that can be driven on the street. These are two totally different things. You totally nailed it that people using it as a track car on a regular basis should be prepared for issues.
Ernest72 (10-13-2022), gcmak (10-08-2022), soundman98 (10-05-2022)