View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 04:05 PM   #35
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
There will not [likely] be follow-up from this individual. They've chosen to move on from the twins and most likely back to another platform they have had years of experience with prior to trying out this platform.

I have 9 HPDEs on my car with just over 4,000 miles on the ODO and no mods to the engine/cooling. I'm using different oil and more frequent change intervals and do actively monitor temps as I lap. I don't consider this the best approach, but it's the one I'm taking until I decide and find suitable hardware.

While I think the best route for track junkies is prevention - oil cooler - it's my general rule to prepare myself for certain costs associated with participating in motorsport, and to never just assume warranty has your back.

It's a $30K car with not all that much of a profit margin for the OEM. This is a lot of money for a lot of people and while I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from experiencing HPDE or other motorsports, these are machines, built to a budget and with fluids and maintenance schedules rated for commuter type use. If you're going to modify the rest of the car and push it hard often, you're rolling the dice if you're not taking added measures to protect the engine and other components. The GR Cup series and cars that will be landing next year will be something to closely follow.
I think it's also important to recognize the difference of 1 or 2 track days a year and 20. I would also consider track driving significantly harder on a car than autocross. SOME people seem to lump it all into one group. A new sports car should be able to mechanically take a track day without a ton of issues. Maybe some heat management problems, especially with turbo cars, I could see as acceptable. I still wouldn't expect a new car to have major drivetrain issues after 20 track days, but I also would hope that someone doing 20 track days a year, isn't using their daily driver, and has accepted that these things can happen.

I want to say that a stock BP in a Miata is considered a 200 hour motor for track work, and I would lump an 86 in the same track-ready expectation as a Miata. Hell, I recently did a track day at VIR in a 250k mile Miata with its totally original drivetrain, and it didn't complain one bit.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foshjowler For This Useful Post:
gcmak (10-08-2022), Tcoat (10-05-2022)