Old 04-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #27
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I believe the point at which 5w-30 would exceed 0w-20 in overall "protection" is probably around 220-230F. vast majority of people are not seeing 230F on a DD. and I would first recommend trying to get oil temps under control via oil cooler and/or hood vents before making the switch, or maybe using 5w-30 during track season (assuming you are tracking) and 0W-20 for non track season.

For a pure DD the time spent below 180F for many people is probably much longer than the time spent above 200F and especially 220F+. I would rather have 0w-20 with sub 180F oil. It is probably a wash between 180-220F, and 5W-30 starts to become more advantageous 220F+

FI can raise temps sure, but should always be accompanied by an oil cooler in my opinion which would negate that for a DD.

I think we are in an agreeance that in more extreme cases like tracking 5w-30 might not be a bad idea.

but the vast majority of owners do not track and the vast majority of DDers are not pushing the car hard enough on the streets to warrant the switch to heavier weight oil in my opinion, especially if they have an oil cooler. I think at best the 5w-30 is no better or worse than 0W-20 in this case, and at worst it is actually doing more harm than good because of the added cold start / low temp wear. which goes back to my last post, only implement an "optional" recommendation if it will undoubtedly enhance or strengthen your application.
Agreed on most points. One thing I would say though, is a DD is constantly seeing temps above 210F, and probably far more often than 180F. I have never seen my car settle or stay at 180F even for a short period of time. I live in Pennsylvania where climate varies from freezing to 100F on a nasty summer day. I am mostly DD and during the winters my temp holds around 210F once warmed up fully. During the summers, I am seeing 210-220F if I'm babying the car around, and almost always around 230F+ if I am riding highway or pushing it around a bit. In which case, to back up my statement, you said yourself that 5w-30 can become advantageous at 220F+, which I agree with.

I would also FAR rather go with 5w-30 oil rather than spend the money on an oil cooler and deal with the contrary issues of trying to get the oil up to temp (especially in the winter) and any other minor issues that can go along with one, such as leaks from mistakes, etc.

Last edited by Dzmitry; 04-01-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote