Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy though. The more we don't have to pay attention the less we will, driving to where we eventually need systems where we don't have to pay attention at all.

Even GPS is an example of that. I catch myself no longer paying much attention to street signs, etc when going somewhere and the GPS is on. I just blindly drive straight until the GPS tells me otherwise. I used to have much more directional awareness when driving.

That said, within my own family I know several people that would be much safer in a close-to autonomous car.
Oh no doubt! Unfortunately for those of us that enjoy the act of driving the vast majority of the public does not share that pleasure. To those people that consider driving a chore these things are just another tool to be used to lighten the burden. People on forums such as this will never understand that perspective any more than the drivers that would rather have the car do all the work would understand ours.
Atmo (12-11-2019), Dadhawk (12-11-2019), soundman98 (12-13-2019), Ultramaroon (12-13-2019)