View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #64
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I tracked down the technical paper that is specific to this FA20 engine, and it clears up a few things (see end of post where I have attached it). The spray pattern appears to be a single fan spray, angled differently than the old twin-spray pattern for V6 applications:

That makes sense considering it is a boxer engine. Here's an image showing a comparison between the FA20 intake port and the FB20 (basic naturally aspirated Impreza engine with PFI)

As I've said in the past, the fan-type injector is currently on used on Toyota D-4S engines. How about a comparison for context. What would a different DI spray pattern look like? Let's briefly examine the Porsche 997 turbo:

That's a multi-hole spray pattern with a high charge-motion port, designed for fast combustion and knock relief on a turbo engine. There are no port injectors. However, Porsche uses a high lift cam profile and multiple DI injection events for knock relief and more efficient combustion:

You can see the use of three injection events at low speed full load. This is unusual on solenoid DI injectors, as usually only piezoelectric A-cone injectors employ three injections. Compare that to our FA20 operation map, with fixed cam lift and as far as we know single DI injection events only:

So you can see a nice comparison there between combustion highly optimized for a high flowing, high revving n/a boxer application versus one highly optimized for a turbo. For reference, see attached paper on the FA20.

Development of Horizontally Opposed
2.0-liter Natural Aspiration Gasoline Engine
for Subaru BRZ
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Subaru FA20 D-4S engine paper.pdf (4.20 MB, 4757 views)
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
andrew20195 (03-12-2014), Bristecom (04-17-2014), P@ul (10-16-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-22-2014)