Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello 8luedragon and welcome to the group of people who are having difficulties with shifting this transmission...

I figure in your case the difficulty can be attributed to about 50% transmission and 50% driver inexperience (with this transmission).

This transmission is not the easiest transmission to shift. It doesn't like to work smoothly when it is cold. It is fairly precise in its workings, which causes it to be somewhat finicky.

Now, after the transmission warms up it works better. It also works better with age (> 10 years old).

Now, about the driver part. I suggest you be patient with it when it's cold, maybe within the first 2-4 miles.

Smooth shifting is all about timing. The timing of the clutch use, application of the gas and movement of the shift lever. Also, timing as far as letting the transmission prepare to move into the next gear.

Now, I can't tell you how to do this. With enough "practice" you will figure it out.

Those of us that were raised on manual transmissions, some without synchronizers, we learned the technique at an early age and find this transmission easy to shift.

To demonstrate on how you know when you have the shifting down, I offer you the:

The shifting challenge

To understand the "timing" of shifting a MT, I suggest you try this technique.

With the transmission warmed up, learn to shift UP the gears WITHOUT using the clutch OR blipping the throttle.

Drive your car a couple miles out to a quiet country road, without a co-pilot, so you can become one with your transmission.

Yes, use the clutch to put it into first gear, after the car gets going, let off the gas and slip the car into second gear (without using the clutch or hitting the throttle). Do the same from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

Once you "learn" the timing, by getting it "right", you should be able to shift up through the gears without feeling (or hearing) the gears mesh.

After you have mastered this technique, shifting using the clutch, is a snap.

If old humfrz can consistently do this in his FR-S, I know you can in your car.

humfrz
You should leave a note - any damage inflicted upon your transmission is fully at your own risk and humfrz holds no responsibility for any damages should any occur.