View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #214
DIY

Drives: BRZ, WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This week I went out and bought the best hydraulic press I could afford, the quality seems pretty good for the money and I'm sure it will be good enough for what I need. The only thing I don't like about it is that its a bit short and I have to crouch down to use it. I can easily build a little platform for it though to bring it up to a more comfortable height.

Today I spent most of the morning building a tool out of scrap metal that would allow me to squish my control arm tubes in a reproducible way.

It has some solid round bar in the base so I know when to stop pressing and a bit of angle at the back to keep the depth consistent.

You can see my first pressing to the left in this photo. I am still using my TIG to heat the metal but at about half the amps of my first attempt so I can control the heat easily.

No its not made from solid gold

So then it was time to move everything into position and start making the front upper control arms. I am keeping the rod ends parallel to each other so when I make adjustments to the length for either camber or caster there is no spreading effect.

The string lines give me the angle for my tube notcher, I prepared all the tube for both sides as they will be the same. The squished end is where they will differ from each other.

At this point I ran out of time, hopefully next weekend I will complete these upper arms.

My Build Thread
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-01-2019), DustinS (12-02-2019)