View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
How about the GT86 being a one-off car? It's not as crazy as it sounds. The contract between Subaru and Toyota ends in 2015. What happens then? Unlike Subaru, which has by all intents and purposes, has essentially treated the BRZ as a one-off car (low volume and sales expectations, no marketing, RWD in a all-AWD line-up), I'll be VERY interested to see what Toyota will do. The fact is, the car is assembled at Fuji Heavy Industries using their primary suppliers. Once this contract ends, for Toyota to build a new-gen version of it, would require not only creating an assembly line for it, but would essentially have to re-design and re-engineer the entire car from scratch, which was the whole purpose of finding a partner company in the first place. Now with the report that sales expectations have not been met, I wouldn't be surprised if the car is killed after 2015 to focus resources on getting the FT-1/Supra into Production.
Do you have a source for when their contract ends in 2015? I hadn't heard of that before.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote