View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ/86 vs 2017 Q60 RWD

What's going on 86/BRZ family!
I didn't spend much time writing this, the inspiration came from my friend's niece who first saw my BRZ and was very excited to see it and then years came by and she now has an FRS!

You're probably reading the title and was like....."Why would you compare these 2 cars"
Well because I have a Q60, and I started seeing more BRZs and 86s in town and I miss the car why? Because 95% of the time you guys are having a blast driving it!
And I just remembered all the times I had a blast driving my BRZ just like all you guys that currently drive one!
I thought I'd do a comparison, maybe you guys will move onto the Supra or C8 corvette or maybe a Porsche who knows!

But if you guys decide to move on I think the Q60 would also be a great step up as well!

Let's start off with the looks!
Both cars are 2 doors, and RWD (in my case) both cars are definitely a head turner!

The Q is a bit bigger and has a functional backseat and it is almost 1000 pounds heavier even with just RWD!

Now moving onto the driving/interior aspect of the car!
It's clear that these 2 cars took a different approach to the driving experience, the BRZ is clearly an all out very little compromise sports car! While the Q is more of a GT car, a little less engaging (No manuals for this car)
Every time I sat in the BRZ I knew I was in a sports car! It's the car that always begs to be driven I always felt bad not driving it when I should have!

Now when I sat in the Q60, WOW this is a very....nice car! The seats look nice even though I'm strongly not a fan of leather it does look very nice! The seats hold you although doesn't hug you and welcome you like the BRZ does as it holds you tight!
I don't have the red sport or the higher trim of the Q, it's the base model premium but even then....the interior is quite the upgrade! I'm not a big fan of the dual touch screens on the Q and the glossy finish on it because it reflects the sun and it gets into my eye but overall it is quite the upgrade interior wise!

Now comparing the 2 cars driving it, the Q60 comes with the VR30 (Baby GTR engine) twin turbos very small garrets

And the way they have the turbos mounted which is basically essentially right on the block and it's custom fitted (You can't buy an after market turbo and just drop it in there) the spool time is very quick and the torque hits HARD and FAST it's a very addictive feeling! It has plenty of low end torque to get you off the line real quick! But afterwards it does fall off and doesn't keep that strong pull!

The BRZ......man the more I think about this car the more I miss driving it!
You can see in the picture I was running the JDL kit with the GTX2867R. The Q60 has a lot more torque and hit boost earlier than the BRZ but man once the boost kicked in, the BRZ felt like it pulled a lot harder and faster all the way to the redline and if only it could go higher than 7400 RPM!

Combine that with the lighter weight, and the nimbleness of the car, it dances around cars as you switch lanes on the high way!

I might be biased since I miss the BRZ but that doesn't mean the Q doesn't handle well either, my only whine is that it came with an open diff
Once you put the car in sport mode, for a more aggressive gear shift and a stiffer steering feeling you also have a very fun car! The low end torque and the responsive turbos also puts a smile on my face!

Time has passed by, and I'm sure a lot of you guys are looking to upgrade to maybe a C8 or a Supra but I'd also say give the Q60 a chance!
The aftermarket is alive and well, not as big as the 86 community, but there's in the Q a few bolt ons and a tune and you'd easily be making as much if not more power than a red sport depending on how crazy you wanna go!

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask I most likely left out a lot of details but I was just typing on.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (08-11-2020), HachiRokuX (08-09-2020)