Old 04-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #30
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Agreed on most points. One thing I would say though, is a DD is constantly seeing temps above 210F, and probably far more often than 180F. I have never seen my car settle or stay at 180F even for a short period of time. I live in Pennsylvania where climate varies from freezing to 100F on a nasty summer day. I am mostly DD and during the winters my temp holds around 210F once warmed up fully. During the summers, I am seeing 210-220F if I'm babying the car around, and almost always around 230F+ if I am riding highway or pushing it around a bit. In which case, to back up my statement, you said yourself that 5w-30 can become advantageous at 220F+, which I agree with.

I would also FAR rather go with 5w-30 oil rather than spend the money on an oil cooler and deal with the contrary issues of trying to get the oil up to temp (especially in the winter) and any other minor issues that can go along with one, such as leaks from mistakes, etc.
You’re temps are far higher than mine. I have a oil temp gauge front and center monitoring temps entire time. And run a lot cooler than that even beating the balls out of her.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote