strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothIsSlow View Post
I just tried pressing the pedal very hard again with the car off, the pedal gets firm quick but if I do press very very hard, the pedal will travel some more, I am guessing that’s not air but the master cylinder or brake lines flexing?
Yes, Firewall/MC flex is a thing, you can actually see it with the hood popped up since you can see the top of the reservoir cap and watch it move.

No real way to describe air in the system from me that hasn't been said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothIsSlow View Post
Thanks! There was no instructor with me in the car.

To be honest, I thought I had engaged ABS (I autocrossed a Miata for a season and the ABS in that car was very obvious), but the instructors outside said that they didn’t see it.

What G’s should I be pulling at threshold braking with PS4Ses?
The pedal pulses and that's the biggest indicator, you're right, you feel it more than hear/see it usually, tire screech and pulsing is what usually tips me off, but not all tires are loud enough and not all surfaces grippy enough.

You might be surprised at what it takes to be an instructor, some groups let any old knucklehead right seat, that doesn't mean they don't have valuable things to teach you and help you with, but this might be a case where their expectation of 1/16th note tire chirps and puffs of smoke are outdated.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote