View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #23017
ddevl_86
theddevilinme

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS [H8R]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A checklist of items happened yesterday that Ive been wanting to do for months!

+ Brake calipers painted! (Finally the right temps out and a willingness to do it)

+ Coolant drained/replaced.

+ Sound Generator delete/Perrin inlet hose installed.

+ Drop-in high flow washable filter installed.

Amidst my troubles, I didnt get to install the drive belt [serpentine] or the new front cover spacer panel due to time restrictions and effort.

The Drive belt mostly cuz I was on 4 jackstands and didnt wanna break nothin while pulling on the tensioner. Unless Im totally stupid and wasnt really needing to "pull", since im not trying to remove the pulley like I originally thought I was doing...

But also, apparently the breaker bar I have has a 1/2" head and all my sockets use 1/4" ratchets. So I'll need to find a bigger 14mm to crank it.

Other than that, I "think' I noticed the cabin noise was gone from the sound generator delete. It definitely seemed quieter when revving the engine in Park to bleed the air from the coolant system.

However, I also noticed that the torque dip was incrementally worse with the new drop-in filter and Perrin inlet tube. I'll have to give it a test tomorrow or the next day on the road, but being in Park idling having the engine drop RPMS like that was scary. Definitely felt like it was gonna crap out a few times when barely giving the gas and letting off (~1500-2000rpm). I know for certain it wasnt THAT bad before... maybe once or so in a 6 rev process, but not EVERY time like now

Any thoughts/cures to idling drops?

Also, great story for anyone interested in painting their brake calipers. I used the G2 Paint kit, and it was perfect for the application of the stock brakes. HOWEVER....

Dont ever listen to your wife when telliing you not to use a plastic container that you know would work great, and instead opting to use a red solo cup for the work.

Not only do you lose an hour or two for cleaning up, and also need to have correct solvents for cleaning, but you lose all the paint as it drips helplessly onto everything and anything around you. Then you yell and bitch about it all happening when it shouldnt have. So the lesson learned here is DONT USE SHITTY CONTAINERS FOR CHEMICALS as they tend to melt and cause further issues lmao
FLIPDADY (04-23-2021), jflogerzi (04-13-2021), MJones_RB (04-13-2021)