View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Drives: Whiteout FR-S; Scion tC
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maya can do some fluid simulation but it isn't CFD. The Maya fluid system (and FumeFX for Max as well) uses shortcuts because they are trying to create a volumetric effect. I can turn on Velocity Draw within the containers and see something close to CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics for those not in the know).

I have worked with ProE, Solidworks, and other parametric 3D modeling packages when I was an engineer at Kennedy Space Center for my battlebots and while teaching at UCF. When in Maya I set my scene scale and model everything based on the measurements that I got from the spec sheets from this forum. Unfortunately, modeling in a graphics package is much different than a parametric package and in many cases more difficult to achieve accuracy sense we are more concerned with fooling the audience than realism.

Here is a screen grab from my laptop http://www.fluidcache.com/wp-content..._model_wip.png and you will notice that the waistline isn't there yet but all of the NURBS curves to define the basic shape are close based upon the orthographic views form the BRZ. I tried using the "see-through" concept car that Subaru had on display at the German Auto Show last year but the body shape doesn't match and the rear fender wells are narrower than the front which throws everything off.

Basically, this is a very complicated car to model due to all of the compound curves and curves that hide behind others in the orthographic views. I would love to work others here to create a solid model that we can use for fan ads, demo reel work, etc.

As far as using GT5's in-game camera system, I have been considering that too but I really wish they had the 86/FRS in Forza since I like the camera system is a little better and you can email yourself the digital images that you take through your Live account.
buzznasa is offline   Reply With Quote